Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Letter to Vicky Marion

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Vicky Marion CEO Altec Lansing

    Dear Vicki Marion

    I've probably known Altec Products before you even heard of the name. I was wondering
    why the company that you control has shut it's eyes on the professional line .

    Your missing on a good market niche. The Altec drivers are the best speakers ever produced.
    They have the most resolution or definition and efficiency.

    If your intimidated by the new products introduced by JBL and EV and VDOSC.

    You can compete by collaborating with Bill in designing a driver with Neodymium magnets.
    This reduces the weight of the driver by ? half.

    Then a line array is possible for Altec and you could reintroduce also the VOTT line for commercial cinema.


    I'm just trying to help.

    You have a big name to carry. Computer speakers wont give you full satisfaction.There will always be something that is just not right about your company.


    Concerned

    P.S. Please E MAil me for futher discussion.

    ..............................

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Letter to Vicky Marion


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Wasted time I'm afraid.
    1. It's all about money. Altec Pro wanted to build cheap stuff and market it as Altec.

    2. You WAY underestimate how hard it would be to compete with the manufacturers already entrenched...and you mention just a few when the list is closer to 30.

    With 30 big manufactures- by struggling to an even share Altec could get 3 % of the market.

    And all this in today's economy. Just plain flat ain't gonna happen. You keep repeating the answer is neodymium speakers...

    The only answer for Altec would be as a boutique brand- one of the last refuges for crazies like us. Both GPA and Iconic realize that I think- they can't compete with the "crank 'em outs" price wise- so don't try.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    I know how you feel about the whole thing O G.
    But take a closer look at some JBL products like the EON . They sold 300,000 units as of today. A light weight driver mounted inside a plastic frame cabinet.

    The only way they could come to this was to reduce the weight of their drivers in half.

    I prefer the positive outlook and the possibilities . Don't forget they have the name Altec Lansing .

    You stick that name on a EON speaker and you would probably sell 500,000 units.


    ...........

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 29, 2008 04:59 PM: Message edited by: CONVERGENCE ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It was good while it lasted, but it's over, it's gone, and it will never be again. You don't have to like it, but no amount of not liking it is going to change it. Appreciate the memories and artifacts for what they are, memories and artifacts.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Letter to Vicky Marion


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The difference on the Eon would be about two pounds-

    BTW the Eon driver isn't mounted in the cabinet...the plastic frame is molded as part of the cabinet...

    If that's what Altec would have to do to survive, let it die...

    Again, I think you have all the wrong approach.

    Altec shouldn't be building speakers to compete with a company already in place.

    And no, Altec won't sell more than JBL.

    Most buyers know Altec as computer speakers. Those of us here are a dying breed.

    The only way Altec could make a comeback is if I hit the lottery. I'd make Plantronics an offer, get the name back, and probably work with Bill on reissuing all the old Alnico stuff and bring in some new designs...

    Anybody holding their breath for a 26 million to one long shot?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by O G:
    ...I'd make Plantronics an offer, get the name back...
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">It (the name) might be cheaper than one might think. See Plantronics' financial report. Annual losses in their Audio Entertainment Group (Altec Lansing) are many millions, and getting worse every quarter.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by O G:
    Most buyers know Altec as computer speakers.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup, just the other day, I was talking to a guy about having an Altec speaker from the 40's/50's, and he said, "That companies been around that long?". I then explained to him that the Altec Lansing that he knows is Sparcomatic. However, I would argue that most/many sound people know of the real Altec Lansing, even if the common man on the street thinks computer speakers.

    The only way Altec could make a comeback is if I hit the lottery.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Although, not likely, another established company buying the name/company and re-establishing could work. ..... but again, not likely.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Letter to Vicky Marion


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Audio_by_Goodwill:
    [QB] </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by O G:
    Most buyers know Altec as computer speakers.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yup, just the other day, I was talking to a guy about having an Altec speaker from the 40's/50's, and he said, "That companies been around that long?". I then explained to him that the Altec Lansing that he knows is Sparcomatic. However, I would argue that most/many sound people know of the real Altec Lansing, even if the common man on the street thinks computer speakers.

    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The 20 % of Sound men who know what they are doing know about Altec.

    Not enough of them to sell 500,000 Eons- and sound men who know what they are doing don't buy Eons either.

    Point is- don't count on the name Altec to sell it. Most people ain't like us.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by O G:
    Not enough of them to sell 500,000 Eons- and sound men who know what they are doing don't buy Eons either.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldn't want Altec to build Eons.

    Point is- don't count on the name Altec to sell it. Most people ain't like us.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I wouldn't count on it.... I believe it would help Though. Remember, I didn't say it was likely!

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Letter to Vicky Marion


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    NP. forums

    I'm just trying to communicate that I think Altec, if it were to make a comeback, should start out trying to make a few customers happy rather than please the masses.

    Convergence keeps saying "line arrays', neodymium" and I keep telling him no, Alnico reissues and designs developed from them.

    Plus, say, the 3184 and select pieces of the newer stuff.

    Get people like movie producers asking for Altec. The masses will follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.